Friday, November 7, 2008

week 10 in victoria

Jus decided to take time off from work today and really BLOG!! Haha.. so much things to blog and give thanks.. haha..

27 Oct 2008- MAIL
YAY!! Received a postcard all the way from UK from EVELYN!! Thankiews… muacks..28 Oct 2008- UPLANDS
Dint realize that my assignment was due soo soon. Ihad to use their MICROFILMS, yes, microfilms to retrieve past newspaper articles for my assignment and, so had spend the whole afternoon out on field taking photos of houses and compare to how they look like in the 1960s! yes, that long!! Haha.. a challenging assignment I would say because I had no car and that only how far the bus can take me to, so I had to walk ON FOOT to all the different houses at different locations and photograph them. I feel like a PI, taking photos of houses, zooming into their living room, their lawns and even attempting to climb over their fences to capture a good view of their houses. I do feel bad about intruding into their private space, but what to do, its WORK!

The house owner caught me taking a photo of his house!

That's LARRY!

Haha.. so ya, I followed the map I copied from online and found myself lost in Uplands coz my map wasn’t complete! Haha.. how smart right? So had to return to school to get a better map. Thank God it wasn’t raining but still it was cold. I walked for like 2hours or even more and even across a golf course! Haha.. den at my last stop, I met two other classmates who were driving.. n I told them I walked all the way from Uplands and Sarah went like “WAD!! I cant believe you walked that much! You really are something eh!” haha.. oh well, it was my last stop and was her first, so ya, dint get a lift from her. Oki, y dint I carpool with my classmates to go to all these different locations? Coz its an Individual assignment and we all have different timetables. Besides, I duno who has a car and who doesn’t, but I just learnt that apparently, three quarter of the class owns a car! Haha.. ya, cars here are cheap.. so yups, when doris got home, she realize a huge mistake!! She took a picture of the WRONG HOUSE!! Haha.. gosh!! Wads wrong with my eyes! Cant even differentiate a 3 and a 5! Haha.. so much for spending time on the field and yet collected the wrong data! Haha.. so ya, had to go back the next day to retake the photo! Oh wells.. but thank God at least I got my work done and submitted on time!

30 Oct 2008- GEOG 440
Thursdays are SPECIAL to me. I love thurdays! Why? Becoz I get attend Prof Larry’s GEOG 440 class and that means weekly fieldtrips! Yups, this module has no classroom lecture, only weekly fieldtrips! Haha.. it interesting how much you can actually learn when you are out on the field!
Got back my assignment back and guess wad? Larry wrote “ P + 1st !” I duno what the 1st stands for but im happy coz I know he recognize the effort I put in for this module! Yippee..So last week I took Dennis car with Lisa and Anna. Oh mann, I really love them and am thankful for them!!
Anna was kind enuff to lend me her black book from another class by Larry.
Lisa had been driving me around for the past 4 fieldtrips or so. She even gave me a GREEN TOOTHBRUSH! She is sooo CUTE la.. always asking Larry personal questions.. e.g, she ask Larry where he stay and what is he going to dress up as for Halloween? She even ask Larry how many times Larry water his lawn coz she’s works for the PUB in Canada. Yups, so she’s super strict on Water usage!! Haha..
Dennis is TOTALLY AWESOME! The moment he knew I was from Singapore, he couldn’t help but started conversing to me in Chinese. Haha.. He’s from HK and has been in Victoria for 5 years already!! WOW!! He drives his own sports car!! How cool! He really is nice.. He makes me feel so comfortable and at home! Haha.. Saw him working at Safeway the other day, and he was asking how am I coping with my assignment and stuff.. His greetings and encouragement just instantly brightened my gloomy day! Really, jus a smile from Dennis and I will go AWWWW.. so sweet.. He even volunteered to share his map sketches with me. How nice!
I had so much fun conversing with them and learning Canadian culture from them!
oh ya, so back to the fieldtrip.. we went to Broadmead and TADAH we saw a DEER sooo close up to us!

31 Oct 2008 – HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
wheee.. totally cool and happening day apart from having psyc exam 2 in the morning..
kexin, GIS is really fun!! Haha.. this week we did smth on GPS!
Its so interesting to use GPS to map out all the different features in the campus against its location.. haha.. even though I was paired up with someone I dint really want to work with and we were taking GPS measurements out in the rain, its fun walking round the campus and seeing people in all the different costumes, all prepared for Halloween Night!!okie den comes the highlight of the day: HALLOWEEN NIGHT! BOOOOO… wahaahaa.. went to a FREE pumpkin exhibition, held at a residence. Its cool how the home owner converted his/her whole backyard into a “cemetery”, it looks SOO REAL!! The exhibition was really an eye opener! I dun believe in Halloween but I must admit all the pumpkin carvings are lovely and they are a form of ART! I was sooo touched by the effort put in by the family to open up their place for exhibition, deco the house and for being so welcoming and warm that I think they deserve my generous donation!! Yeps..my favs..

The great wall og CHINA on a pumpkin!
webby-spidery!
Went to Vic High to Yang’s high school.. pretty cool.. cant help but started to compare the distinctiveness of Fernwood subdivision.. haha.. Yang totally am amused at my workaholic spirit.. haha.. I couldn’t help but take photos of the different suburbs and houses along the street coz I was so in love witg GEOG 440!

1 Nov 2008- GOLDSTREAM SALMON TRIP

I guess this will sum up part of my trip.. the rest of the photos are one facebook! go check them out eh..