Monday, December 22, 2008

BYE Victoria!

20 Dec 2008

1. Yippee, today marks the last day of my exams! And so YES, im done here at UVic!
writing an exam in the cold winter is can really be challenging coz its sooo cold, your fingers just don’t feel like writing even though you know the answer outright! And boy u bet I have things to comment on the exam system here to! Haha..

Writing exams in the gym can be irritating. By right all papers are to start on the dot, but apparently it is not the case. My paper has started and students from another module are just beginning to enter the hall. Unlike in NUS, where there is an exam officer to start the paper off and lay out all the instructions and ground rules, it isn’t the case here. Your own prof declares the start of the paper in a huge hall without mike, I cant even hear her speak! And PLEASE, im trying to start on my paper and few rows down the hall, students are just entering and taking their own sweet time to settle down. So end up, Doris used ears plugs throughout the whole 3hrs! How great!


2. got my black book back and flip it through to recall all the different suburbs in Victoria I have been to and seen.


3. So Thankful to be able to meet up with Annabel, PX, Anna (before she return Up Islands for xmas) and of course Dennis (20mins before he knock off at Safeway!).


4. Spent the whole night packing my stuff and cannot believe that 4 months have passed sooo quickly!


5. Called Moh and Tan to say my goodbyes too.. I miss Victoria and I hope to return some day

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

A. Was suppose to go to the best restaurant to dine at before leaving Victoria but snowed soooo heavily.. yups, SNOW STORM in Victoria is LIKE SOOOO RARE!! So Yang and I order pizza instead coz its just too cold to eat out!


B. Woke up in the morning and the storm isn’t over! Got out of the house and the snow level is above my ankle! Yang said it’s the first time he seen a snow storm in Victoria after being here for 4 years! Roads are slippery, the snow piles up and Doris is off to some where warmer – California.


C. Was recalling my days here in Victoria and I am already missing my life and friends here! And chatted to some of the people on board the coach to the Airport and could truly experience what does it mean to rush home for family reunion on Xmas no matter how much it takes or cost! Its like how millions of Chinese rush home for Chinese New Year in China. It is something, I as a Singaporean will never get to understand or experience. The airport says that the flights wil not be delayed but the people I spoke to, they are all packed and ready to camp in the airport and they have at least 10hours ahead of their departure time. There’s a guy whose flying tmr and is gg to the airport this afternoon coz the snow storm may get even worst and the buses and ferries might have to shut down. There are some much thought and consideration put into planning for a trip home.


D. Haha.. White Christmas! Yups, I am definitely going to have a white Christmas..
but behind all the whiteness, it’s all grey and dark.. the roads are so dirty, the pavements are piled up with greyish snow, folks getting up early to sat and sand their front corridors, drivers risking their life to drive in the snow, cars sliding on the icy road, the homeless out in the cold winter shivering and covered in snow dust, aww.. this winter just opened my eyes to see a lot of things that I never thought I could relate too.. now I want to do climatology! Haha…


E. But ya, winter can be fun too, with all the snow fights, snow angels, skiing, snowboarding.. This lady sitting beside me how cold it can get in the northeast, -40 degrees.. if you aint all dressed and covered up, you’ll definitely get froze bites..


Off to Vancouver Airport now.