Friday, December 12, 2008

blog blog blog

10 Dec 2008
1. yeah! My book from amazon.ca finally arrived! Im soo into reading the book “Teach like you hair is on FIRE!” yups.. everyone says it’s a catchy title, n indeed it is..

2. I must say, I really enjoy my life here!
Sat at the mall today…
reading my little book… while enjoying the live band singing and play jazz music…
occasionally looking up to find couples dancing to the groove…
my little toes started tapping and just felt like dancing along too…
haha.. people watched for a while.. listened to what people conversed about and watched how that saleman tried soo hard to promote his product..
(oh, I must say he really has no creativity!! He only hits on female customers and he uses the
same line on everyone of them! gosh, he should really come up with something better!)
but ya, its soo lovely to take time off to enjoy and appreciate things around you.. I mean when I go back to Singapore, I’ll probably not get the chance to do so coz the hectic pace just drives one crazy..

3. went to Dennis birthday party and met a lot of new friends..
met this Canadian guy who identifies himself more as a Korean than a Canadian. He’s born in Canada, but parents are from Korea, he jus learnt how to speak Korean few years ago, n the last time he went to Korea was 5 years old! Yet, he identifies with Korea more.. hmm, interesting! Really made me think about what constitute one’s national identity? Couldn’t help but tot of migration class n HY1101E – what makes you Asian, and linked it to a recent paper Yang wrote about European identity.. Dennis also asked me about the Merlion and so I explained to him about it..Do Singaporeans identify the merlion as a national symbol? I wonder. So, how do I identify myself? Well, I guess what really makes me Asian is the culture, heritage and FOOD! Yes, after much thought, Ii guess what makes Asian special and unique is the FOOD! Im saying this not jus coz I like to eat but I guess food really glue people together and gives them a sense of belonging!

why do I say so? After coming to Canada, I really miss Asian food and realize why Asia is known as the food paradise! Coz Asia really is a FOOD paradise!! And when I have gatherings with Asians here, one common topic will always be food! Oh mann, I jus miss all the delicious yummy delights back home!!

4. At Dennis bday party..
learnt new things about Korean and Taiwanese culture..
dun abuse the word “cao fan” (fried rice) in Taiwan and think twice before saying “ni chi bao le ma?” (have you eaten) when you are in Korea..

5. Dinner at Red Robin was AWESOME!
the burger is GIGANTIC!!
the fries are freeflow.. plus honey mustard sauce with poppy seed.. heavenly!
don’t ask how many basket of fries I refilled.. aint gg to say.. haha..

9 Dec 2008
1. Just sat for my first official written essay exam – GEOG 385!

2. Some thoughts about GEOG 385 – Enivronmental Aesthetics..
a very interesting module in itself but the lecturer really made it super boring and dull..
so yes, I wrote lots of comments on the evaluation sheet..
She speaks sooo extremely fast makes us copy everything from the transparency!
Mr Leow would say that copying is the most brainless job on earth!
so yes, every week I go to class just to copy notes from the OHP screen, how dumb!
her assignments are sooo unclear.. Val emailed the lecturer 10 times and still had no idea! what the assignment is about! I emailed her once and dint understand her expectation at all! I couldn’t take it and just went to bug her at her office! Wahaa..
Her assignments are meant to be fun and I appreciate her thoughts for that but her instructions are just not clear! Arghh..

on top of that, there is simply TOOO much to cover for a level 300 module. Its insane! I mean 2hrs 40mins per week and yet she was still rushing through the materials during the last lecture. That wasn’t even a proper review! She also agreed with me that there’s TOO much materials to cover. So my question, then why try to cover soo much? I mean really it doesn’t make much sense!! Haiz.. so to make up for that guess what? She gave the class a list of 20 qns, of which 10 will come out for the final exam and each qn comes with specific hints to point out in which section of the textbook the answers can be found!! that means you know the exam qns even before you go into the exam hall to write your paper.. may I emphasize : 10 ESSAYS in 3 HOURS (120marks, 50%)!!

If your jaw dropped, then yes, you are normal!! 10 essays in 3 hours!
oki, but if you break it down and think..
hmm.. if you practice writing out all the 20qns given by the lecturer, memorize your perfect essay answers and make sure you can write like a type-write, then walah, secured A!! not bad. 10 essays in 3 hours is totally manageable!
but then, isn’t all that just mere regurgitation? Is this what tertiary education is all about?
Im sure Sng Bingde will have much to comment on.. haha..
well, I guess there is both gd and bad to this system depending on what view you see things from..

3. I was still very nervous when I sat for the exam.. I kept wondering what qns will come out.. then, I rmbed, hey Doris, you know the qns already so pls relax! Haha..
The exam atmosphere is pretty relax and causal here. Its free seating and students can just
enter the exam hall anytime..

4. hmm.. one hour into the exam, and people have already handed in the paper. Its either they are super fast or they just gave up..

5. Yeah, so one paper down, 2 to go! But first, let’s chill..
a girls’ night out: Ice-skating!
Tuesday will soon be my official skating day and I must say, I think im getting better and
better at it..haha..
Its funny how Annabel puts it “ isn’t it ironic that human like to go in circles on a block of ice?” haha.. ya, I wonder why too.. coz everyone in the skating ring just flow with the cycle.. everyone jus skates in the same direction along the ring.. and who sets the directions? The first bunch of people who enter the ring- the little KIDS! When the gates open, the little KIDS rush into the ring as if it was GSS! REALLY! We were all stunned at the sight.. they are like little ducklings rushing off into the river.. and yes, as expected, each time they change direction, doris had difficulties orienting herself.. haha.. but overall, I had sooo much fun! Yippee..
7 Dec 2008
So nice of Rachelle to invite me and others over to her house for a MALAYSIAN MEAL!! Yippee.. I HAD LAKSA from Malaysia! Haha.. yes, Rachelle packed the laska paste from KL! Haha.. yumyumm.. I cant even rmb how many servings I helped myself too.. LAKSA at LAST!! What a way to start my week!! To top it off, she even baked KUAY! THANK YOU RACHELLE!!

After eating Laska, I’ve been dreaming of Asian cuisine every night.. dream of fried rice last night, and of curry chicken the night before and the list goes on and on… oki, im drooling already.. haha..

5 Dec 2008
I began another chapter of my life on the BEST PLACE ON EARTH!
Thank you everyone for your well wishes..
I feel sooo LOVED!!